Over the Mountain and Through the Woods

Sep 28

In In The Field at 2:51pm

_jm45086-copy-1

At DLWS with the Mooster. He looked at me yesterday, and asked me to do the warm up talk when we got to location. You know, gather everybody around and tell them what the place is about, how to maybe go about shooting it, etc. I said fine. Then I asked him, “By the way, where the hell are we?” I wasn’t completely joking. Got off the plane from Germany, and Grippi from our studio picked me up at JFK and between the two of us and the state of Massachusetts, which evidently needed to re-pave every single one of it’s highways the other night, turned a 51/2 hour drive into an 81/2 hour drive. Got to the hotel at midnight (it’s haunted, by the way) slept for a few hours and then headed into the rain and mist of early Monday morning.

We are evidently in New Hampshire. There are trees here.

More tk….

28 Responses to “Over the Mountain and Through the Woods”

JayM says:

on September 28, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Joe McNally doing landscape? Do my eyes deceive me? Beautiful. Not surprising.

adrian says:

on September 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Soooo great colors!

Captain Kimo says:

on September 28, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Exciting… looking forward to shooting some autumn leaves too :-)

Kathy Winter says:

on September 28, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I miss Fall! There is no Fall in Tampa.

Marshall says:

on September 28, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Heh. Landscape. There’s no fall color. Joe’s in the valley of the gels with 78 SB-900s carefully controlled with honl grids. They set them up by headlamp, which is pretty ironic because they couldn’t set up the 78 SB-900s in the dark without another light they got from REI for $24.95.

onnie says:

on September 28, 2010 at 7:35 pm

you’re so much fun to follow!
exhausting … but fun …. ;-)

Pat Delany says:

on September 28, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Enjoy the White Mountains. Jackson, North Conway, Mt. Washington, everywhere there is beautiful. If you can, take a ride up the Kancamagus Highway, lot’s of scenic spots. You won’t be disappointed. When the mist clears tomorrow, the views will be spectacular. I used to live near there. Wish I was there now… Please post some more of your shots, Moose already has.

Cheers,
Pat

Eddie says:

on September 28, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Joe when I heard you would be doing this with Moose and Laurie, I wished I had a time machine to go back and save up. haha I love NH too. I will actually be there this weekend. Maybe see you guys around. Enjoy the beauty. Save some for me!

Bill Bogle Jr. says:

on September 28, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Hoping that the color does not come and go before I get to Acadia next Wednesday. But the last time I got to Acadia was in the summer of 08, and all I got to see was the fog. Soak up the color, but leave some for the rest of us.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

Jesper Skaerbaek Jensen says:

on September 29, 2010 at 2:30 am

Damn, it is hard to be a photographer ….. :-)By the way, Loved your iPad interview together with Bill Frakes from Manfrotto, made at Photokina :-) http://vimeo.com/15296965

Karen Bobotas says:

on September 29, 2010 at 3:22 am

Welcome to NH, Joe.

Always enjoy your blog posts. Nice to see you in NH – looking forward to viewing more of your images here with the fall colors. I’m about an hour south in Gilford – the Lakes Region – stop through on your way south for lunch!

Cheers, Karen

Tim Skipper says:

on September 29, 2010 at 6:43 am

I want fall to come here. I’ve lived in the deep south my whole life and we just don’t get colors like that. Beautiful image.

Dave Polaschek says:

on September 29, 2010 at 6:47 am

So was your introduction along the lines of: “We’re in New Hampshire. Moose says there are trees here. I need more coffee.” ?

Jim G. says:

on September 29, 2010 at 8:13 am

Rest up before you get to Tampa on Friday for the lighting seminar. Trees down here change colors in March!

Deb Cobb says:

on September 29, 2010 at 10:02 am

If you’re driving through Franconia, stop in Sugar Hill and eat at Polly’s Pancake Parlor. My grandmother was a waitress there – a VERY long time ago. It’s an institution. I’d recommend going to Profile Lake, but, alas, the Old Man of the Mountains has fallen and won’t get up anymore.

Have fun!

Anand Dhingra says:

on September 29, 2010 at 11:06 am

In addition to Kancamangus, see if you can get to North Woodstock. It’s a great old town with an amazing rocky river which you can walk out on. You could shoot there for hours.

Bob DeChiara says:

on September 29, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Great spot! Such a beautiful area. Few hours south and your in my neck of the woods.

Duncan Spaulding says:

on September 29, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Welcome to the Granite State! sometimes I feel spoiled by how beautiful and diverse the landscape I grew up in is, hope to see some more of your shots (landscapes [without people in them] are not something I see on your site too often!)

Larry Eiss says:

on September 29, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I love it, Joe. Welcome to the northeast. I fully understand your inability to know where you are and your assessment of the environment. I hope you get some rest soon.

Hans van de Vorst says:

on September 29, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Anything goes Joe, anything but an office from 9:00-17:00 and similar predictabilaties :)
Lucky you, have fun there.

Jim says:

on September 29, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Sounds like fun.

Daniel Korzeniewski says:

on September 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm

There is not that much of that over here in Florida, just rain, and more rain.. at least now… I love the photo, thanks for sharing Joe.

Holly says:

on September 30, 2010 at 8:47 am

This literally made me laugh out loud and everyone gave me the “whats that weird graphic design chick in the corner laughing at now” look. I get that quite often being the only creative in the office.

Been following Moose and Laurie this week on the trek through the N.H. wilderness. It makes me long for my hometown in Pennsylvania.

Have fun Joe!

Rusty Moore says:

on September 30, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Watch out for aliens around Franconia Notch, Joe. That’s where Betty and Barney Hill got abducted, ya know.

Mike Campbell says:

on October 4, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Sounds like Massachusetts is just like Toronto. I think every road here is either being torn up, repaved, or widened (and in the processe narrowed).

jeremy mayhew says:

on October 5, 2010 at 5:55 am

wait…what!??! your in NH!?!! blurg! i would have driven straight up to whereever you are to catch a fleeting glymps of the rare and elusive mcnallybird.

i’ll try to be more alert next time, as the official photographer of Chunkys Movie THeater and Pub, i’ll treat you all to movies and dinner :-)

Robert says:

on October 5, 2010 at 7:51 pm

No trees like that in Hawaii …. sometimes I really miss the mainland.