Malaysia Update….

Feb 3

In Seminars & Workshops at 1:56am

_jm48362-blog

Louis Pang and his Wedshooter TV gang have fixed up our workshop with wonderfully talented folks to be in front of the lens. Evon has worked with us for a couple days now. Suffice it to say, photographing her is a damn sight different experience than photographing this particular devotee at Thaipusam the other day.

_dsc5805-blog

The above was shot by Johan Sopiee, a terrific Malaysian shooter based here in KL. It’s been a pretty wild ride since we landed Friday night. Mid-week now. We’ll be cranking right through the weekend. Having fun. Malaysia’s a great place, friendly people, lotsa talented shooters. More tk…

34 Responses to “Malaysia Update….”

Kai says:

on February 3, 2010 at 2:21 am

Yeah, pretty good place to stay. Was there a few years ago. Lots of different cultures in one place.
You should stay until Chinese New Year.

Mark says:

on February 3, 2010 at 2:31 am

Beautiful work. As usual. Love your looks.

BTW…Johan’s link above might be buggy…go here to view the cool images > http://www.johansopiee.com/

Good stuff all around!

Polgara says:

on February 3, 2010 at 3:24 am

Beautiful image!

Dave says:

on February 3, 2010 at 3:24 am

Joe: Regarding Johan Sopiee’s shot of you shooting the Thaipusam devotee, I am struck by: 1) your flash mounted on the camera hotshoe (sacrilege!), and 2) your flash pointing upward with diffuser dome on but with no apparent ceiling to bounce from — wasn’t this outdoors? However, looking at the resultant shot of the devotee from your earlier post, one can conclude that this lighting setup not only works, but it works beautifully! You rock!

David says:

on February 3, 2010 at 4:24 am

Joe, great shots and there are plenty of great subjects on offer out there, but on a non shooting related note, if you get a chance while in KL get yourself down to Jalan Alor for some of the best food you’ll ever taste, particulary the chicken wings from Wong Ah Wah at the bottom, you’ll not regret it!

Gunther Deichmann says:

on February 3, 2010 at 4:51 am

Very Nice, but I am not surprised Joe… you always done some exceptional work.
Cheers Gunther

Sam Oksner says:

on February 3, 2010 at 6:12 am

Beautiful portrait! Very different from the earlier one, but equality stunning.

To Dave, from the shadows and the light, I would say Joe was using his on camera flash as an optical trigger with maybe a bit of fill from the dome. That’s my guess, either that, or he just forgot that it was up there, but I doubt that very highly judging from the light quality of the portrait he obtained.

Seshu says:

on February 3, 2010 at 6:14 am

Joe – what a wild and amazing way to be introduced to Tamil culture. While I am originally from Avon, Connecticut, I am spending a few weeks in Chennai, India (which of course is the capital of Tamil Nadu) where Thai Pusam is supposed to be celebrated in an extremely grand way but I am told Malaysians have the Chennai-folks beat. Looking forward to seeing more images from the festival.

Stuart Mackenzie says:

on February 3, 2010 at 6:32 am

ooh diffuser outdoors..Mr Hobby would be casting disparaging looks :D

Ken Toney says:

on February 3, 2010 at 8:22 am

Joe, can you give us your settings for the Thaipusam devotee? I suspect you used rear curtain flash “drag the shutter” with about -one stop on the flash (just guessing).

Bernie says:

on February 3, 2010 at 8:37 am

What a life. Amazing things to see and beautiful women thrown at you. What do you think you’re doing McNally? Don’t you have any sense of responsibility toward those young and impressionable shooters who might want to follow you? Where are the monasteries and great government buildings you should be showing us?

Johan Sopiee says:

on February 3, 2010 at 9:46 am

gasp… what an honor to be mentioned on Joe McNally’s blog. i’m choking and lost for words now..

Naqib/Qippy says:

on February 3, 2010 at 10:29 am

Hi Joe, Its Naqib here from your KL workshop. Just posted a blog post on the workshop we did with you. I’m really happy that I managed to catch you in the workshop. Do leave me some feedback it’s always nice to hear from a real pro, hehe. Anyway here’s the link to the workshop shoot we did http://www.qippy.com/blog .Thanks

Marvin says:

on February 3, 2010 at 10:29 am

I was thinking the same thing Dave was thinking! No ceilings to bounce his flash from, and the flash with diffuser is pointing up. Now, I’m not even in the same league as Joe’s right foot but every time I do that I get my subjects lit on top (heads) but dark and unlit bottom parts (body). I mean, WTF?

alim says:

on February 3, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Some great shots from Thaipusam. I had the opportunity to stumble upon this festival when I was in Singapore years ago. Hope to visit KL one day to see it again!

Love the shot of Yvonne above…would love to see the setup diagram. Am guessing a lastolite panel from above (camera left) and a fill box / reflector from below (camera left)? I just love the soft wrapping light…stunning!

Thanks for sharing.

Chuck Kimmerle says:

on February 3, 2010 at 2:37 pm

“…from the shadows and the light, I would say Joe was using his on camera flash as an optical trigger with maybe a bit of fill from the dome…”

Yup. If you look at the shadows on the very scene he was shooting, posted a couple days ago, you’ll see the main light was about 45-degrees to his left. Also, looking at the IPTC info, he was using three lights.

Dave says:

on February 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm

@Sam Oksner: Yes, I was suspecting that Joe’s flash on the hotshoe was an optical trigger, and it does look like the main light in Joe’s photo was from camera right, where Johan Soipee was standing. So was Johan the source of the main light? Afterall, Johan’s shot was synchronized with Joe’s flash (as noted by the glowing diffuser dome). At any rate, the result is great, per usual.

Dave says:

on February 3, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Oops. I meant “camera left.”

Tim Woodard says:

on February 3, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Thanks for posting the photo that answered my question about your flash. Great Photos I love all the color!

Tim

Kris Mitchell says:

on February 3, 2010 at 4:39 pm

@Dave

I’m thinking maybe one triggered the other possibly. I’ve been in enough places loaded with ‘togs that it happens.

Still, great pic and it’s always fun to see a “behind the scenes” shot as well!

Mike Neale says:

on February 3, 2010 at 6:16 pm

OMG,…Louis & Drew, GREAT write-up on your Webtv link here! A must read,…speaks volumes on the team concept,…great pics of both you guys,…even the ones of Joe!…well done!

(PS…Drew shave it off!)…..;-)))

Andrew says:

on February 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Hi Joe, Thanks for the great workshop! It was truly an amazing experience! I will be back for more on Saturday’s seminar!

Dilip Bhoye says:

on February 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Great lighting. About Joe shooting with flash pointing up, my guess is that flash mounted on other guys camera who shot 2nd pic. Sync in channel?

Will W says:

on February 4, 2010 at 12:48 am

I wonder if we can interest you to have some activities in Indonesia? Drop me an email so I can talk to you directly?

Thanks.

Lee Kuen says:

on February 4, 2010 at 1:10 am

Joe, it’s such an honour to work with you in Kuala Lumpur. My team and I are having loads of fun creating the different makeup and hair for your workshops’ models. We are so amazed by the images that you capture and the stories that you share. Thank you! And we truly appreciate Louis Pang and his great Webshooter.tv team for making this happen.

Dee says:

on February 4, 2010 at 6:37 am

Wow…Joe…I’m happy you mentioned one of our local photographer in your blog… It’s great to know you have a great time here in Malaysia…looking forward to meet you this saturday

Iden Ford says:

on February 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm

That is a just a gorgeous photo at the top of this post and what bokeh!

David Jr (Malaysia Asia) says:

on February 6, 2010 at 8:53 am

Hello Joe, thank you and I have to say that it was an excellent workshop hosted by both you and Louis at the Shangrila today.

Hope to see you again soon.

Regards,
David

Evon T. says:

on February 6, 2010 at 11:03 am

Words just cant express my feeling right now, thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

Melvin says:

on February 7, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Really enjoyed your session on saturday 6th Feb. Also great to hear directly from you about your work with the 9/11 subjects and ULF Polaroid. Thanks.

Saw Yu Jin says:

on February 8, 2010 at 5:03 am

Great that you enjoyed the wonderful Malaysia
Really enjoyed the super session last saturday

Grace Tan says:

on February 10, 2010 at 4:21 am

Hi Joe, I met you in Malaysia during Saturday’s seminar. Of course, with over 300 people present, it’s probably difficult or perhaps even impossible to remember all of us.

Thank you for sharing your work & experiences with us. It inspires us to reach for greater heights and to constantly challenge ourselves to improve.

By the way, when I was young, one of my ambitions was to shoot for the National Geographic! :)

Shahroll Photo says:

on April 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Hello Joe! nice to read your blog.. and am really like this post.. shooter from Malaysia

yours