LIGHTING KIT FOR THE ELDERLY

Dec 10

In Books, Friends, Travels, Videos at 12:16am

Its small, airplane friendly, easy to use and very light so even photographers of, well, a certain age can lift it. Bob Krist demonstrated his lighting kit in the new Nikon SB900 video…..

And people are going nuts about it, emailing him, wanting to know about every bit and piece. He showed the kit during the video, pulling out all the stuff, but not a couple of the crucial items, such as the heating pad and the flask of Geritol.

He’s one tough sonofagun, though I tell ya. Check out the fight we had on the set…..

Actually, it was a pleasure to knock out this instructional video with Bob, who is one of my dear friends. When you are still carrying cameras and shooting great stuff at his age, there are several things that are true. You are a complete gentleman and a pro. You know your stuff and learned a long time ago that this business is all about what comes around going around, again and again. Bob, who considering his career as a Geographic shooter and peerless travel photographer and writer, could easily have let Mr. Ego out for a healthy, career long romp, has never done that. He checks the self important bullshit at the door, rolls up his sleeves, and gets to work. He is one of those rare commodities; a good shooter who is also a good teacher. He communicates well, and his avuncular “Sit back and Bob’s gonna explain it all for you” style puts people at ease and lets them learn in a zone where they are comfortable making mistakes and asking questions, which is the real key to any teaching environment.

Bob and I are the same age, by the way.

Take a look at a couple of his pix…He has, as he says, over time, covered the waterfront.

He has a new book out…..

This tome is a must if you want to dive into the competitive world of travel photography, either as a pro, or as traveler who simply wants good pictures to show at the end of the experience. He talks composition, lighting and flash, photographing people, using color, you name it. He shows you work flow and what to do with all those gigabytes when you come home. And he talks turkey about how to survive out there, right from when you get on the airplane, to getting to the hotel and then up and down the river at dawn or dusk. In a word, its complete. The whole nine or even ten yards. Right from when you pack your bag till when you get home and unpack that same bag. (If you read this book, there might even be a good chance that when you unpack, you’ll still have the same stuff you packed:-)

One of the things Bob has learned over the years, is to travel light. So, here you go…..

The Bob Krist Lighting Kit, As Seen on TV!

Bracket:   Morris MTH-202

Smallballhead:   Giotto MH-1004 Mini Ballhead

Cold shoe on ballhead: Stroboframe General Purpose shoe

Compact lightstand: Bogen Manfrotto Retractable
Collapsible Umbrella: Westcott 43″ Collapsible Umbrella with Removable Cover

Grids, Snoots, Speedstraps, Colored Gels.

Rolling case: Stormcase iM2500

Trust me, if Bob can pull and haul it, so can you:-)

More tk…..

42 Responses to “LIGHTING KIT FOR THE ELDERLY”

Ken says:

on December 10, 2008 at 12:48 am

Hello Joe,

I loved the teaser clip on the New DVD from Nikon…..I bought the last one you did where you are sort of in the “flatland’s” of Nevada……Well Joe, the first DVD I bought was more about Nikon than learning from a great teacher that you are….., Even no bids on Ebay…that says something….I hear this one is really a real teaching tool.

You think Nikon will let me exchange your first DVD and get the new one?????….I know, PT Barnum already said it….I will let my ego heal… and like my dog, heal to buy the new one

Merry Christmas,

Ken in KY

kathyt says:

on December 10, 2008 at 1:21 am

Mr. McNally — Thank you very much!!! I was going to have to find out where to send an email to Mr. Krist and ask about mini smallball heads — you did if for me — you are such a nice man. The video was great — you all made me laugh!!! and this week I need a little laughter.
Thanks again — hope You and Annie have great Holidays.
kathyt

Jim Child says:

on December 10, 2008 at 1:52 am

Just finished Nikon School – “A hands-on Guide to Creative Lighting”. Thanks for sharing. I’ll be out shooting tomorrow with my CLS.
Thanks again!

KKL says:

on December 10, 2008 at 2:13 am

How come is all on Bob… what about the NG clip of Joe! :D

David Apeji says:

on December 10, 2008 at 3:16 am

Thanks a lot Joe. Could be we all watched the DVD this weekend? Now I need to send of an order to Adorama! Excellent DVD by the way.

Richard Cave says:

on December 10, 2008 at 5:07 am

Having far too much fun for it to be called work , love the chimping part on the video.

R. Kneschke says:

on December 10, 2008 at 6:41 am

What a funny video. Laughed my *** off… :-)

Mark says:

on December 10, 2008 at 8:08 am

Great clip. Me thinks you might look good in a silvery white beard too. :-D

Stay well!

Phat Photographer says:

on December 10, 2008 at 10:46 am

Love it. Well done controlling the highlights on the “bridal” shoot. You probably could even make Bob look good in the gown.

Wayne says:

on December 10, 2008 at 11:31 am

The DVD is awesome. Now I have to get an SB-900.

Thanks for sharing the bloopers. Very funny.

Steve says:

on December 10, 2008 at 11:41 am

I’ll second Bob Krist being a great photographer and teacher. In the days before the internet he put out a book “Secrets of Lighting on Location” that is a great resource packed with diagrams, equipment, and his thinking. I got my copy in 97 and even gave it to a couple of friends that are photographers for Christmas. Some of the technology has changed, it’s not a movie, but there’s still a lot in this book for anyone wanting to learn or refine their location lighting.

Bill Bogle, Jr. says:

on December 10, 2008 at 12:00 pm

It is good to see that you are getting along so well with your friends, and you are using your inside voice more often, JK. This is a got to have video with both of you showing the way.

Tis the season for beards.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

Derek says:

on December 10, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Thanks so much for doing the Nikon video! I loved it so much (watched it 2x), as I have been looking for good tutorial type videos with with you or any other beloved pro! Not to mention I am in love with the CLS! Good to know that you can work and still have fun, what a job!!! I did enjoy a good laugh at the spoof clip!
Great stuff… thanks again.

Carlos Bruno says:

on December 10, 2008 at 1:40 pm

Well Joe … I’m a fan of yours for a loooooong time.
Doesn’t matter what you ‘release’ on the market, being YOURS or with your approval, I buy.
But following the new tendency created that ‘smart’ and loved by 90% of the photographers in America guy (and full of money … maybe why he can say some s… like that) from Washington State, Chase Jarvis, YOU and BOB suppose to, at least once in a year, do something for FREE.
Can you send me a second copy to I give for a friend?

Jokes and sarcasms apart … WONDERFUL material boss!
Long time I didn’t see something SO GOOD like this DVD. Complete!
And this teasing … But I’d love to see YOU in a point shoes and a TUTU, YOU put Bob like a bride!!!

Love you!
CB

Per says:

on December 10, 2008 at 2:37 pm

I love the way you play with the light in your photos! You are a big inspiration.

Bill says:

on December 10, 2008 at 4:07 pm

The security at these assisted living homes has got to get better …how did you guys get out ? Great promo ! Bob you are a stunning bride …..despite the bullfrogs.

Paolo Sales says:

on December 10, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Hello Mr. Mcnally,

Thank you very much for your generosity. I just got your book and I am totally immersed in it.

I’m from Canada, and we don’t have access to this wonderful DVD. Maybe you can put in a word to your contacts in Nikon (if you have the time and energy) to have a canadian release?

Thank you very much again!

Chris Stanfield says:

on December 10, 2008 at 7:41 pm

Dear Joe,

If you’ve commented before on this and I missed it, I apologize. When you’re not using Nikon’s CLS, and you’ve got a job that requires larger lighting demands, what are you using and/or what would you suggest in terms of a three or four light set up? I’m working with nothing but SB900’s currently, but struggle on larger commercial jobs that require lighting larger venues.

Regards,
Chris

Jeffrey Snyder says:

on December 10, 2008 at 9:11 pm

So, since I can put this all together, I must be so much younger than you guys…

“You can get most of this stuff from Jeff Snyder at Adorama (jsnyder@adorama.com) and if you ping him, he will be able to put the whole damn thing together for you.”

Michael Warf says:

on December 10, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I would have called for a different stylist on that wedding shoot Bob!

Sam Castleberry says:

on December 10, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Joe, I really enjoyed the DVD. You and Bob did an excellent job at explaining lighting. The buildup of the lighting was very helpful. Thanks for making the DVD.
Sam

Canon-Head Doug. says:

on December 10, 2008 at 10:05 pm

Sorry guys, all kudos for your mastery of the craft, I can only aspire that ONE day, if I live that long, I might actually shoot something like you do! Somehow, I don’t think so! Minor gripe..there are one or two of us who shoot Canons for choice, honest. Hows about doing a sort of “look what you can do with a sb900, if you shoot Canon, this is as near as you’ll get..AND IT SERVES YOU RIGHT!!” I do have a bit of brain-ache trying to copy Nikon instructions/demos on my EX580 mk.2’s. Until I sort it, I’ll just enjoy watching the MAN!

Joseph Gamble says:

on December 11, 2008 at 11:10 am

Watched the video for the first time last night and I have to admit that I was very envious of Bob’s compact portable studio. Sized for carry-on bins. I’ve been using CLS for three years for almost 90 percent of my work and the DVD does an excellent job of explaining it and providing real life scenarios. Good stuff! Kudos.

Karen says:

on December 11, 2008 at 1:12 pm

LOL! Great out takes. I went to one of Bob’s seminars – GREAT stuff. Hoping to be at one of yours one of these days, Joe. My DVD is on the way – a little Christmas present to myself. Can’t wait!

Bob Ray says:

on December 11, 2008 at 5:50 pm

I’m not sure what’s best about Joe McNally: your friendly, open style of sharing complicated techniques so that more people can make their Nikon® gear perform to its capability OR the powerful images you’ve created over a very successful career that are both – images and career – inspirational.

‘A very good DVD that stands out from a vast sea of mediocre competition with poor production values and focused to sell product rather than share instruction. Great job from you, Bob and your crew.

And I’m very happy to have met you at Photo Plus during your three-hour class with my good friend from your favourite memory card manufacturer who, despite being a Canon® shooter, is almost as big a fan as I.

Thank you for the instruction, the inspiration and for creating a reality that suggests – with practice and dedication – that many of us can actually make these techniques happen for us, too.

We all appreciate that and you, Joe …

Bill Rogers says:

on December 11, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Kudos to you, and kudos to Bob, but I honestly don’t see much difference between Bob’s lighting kit and the Strobist kit that Dave Hobby recommended several years ago. http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/05/round-up-starving-student-off-camera.html

Carl says:

on December 12, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Mr Mcnally
I’m also one of your many fans, Ive just been on the strobist site and had a look at whats been said about the DVD nit being released in europe.
Many of us including myself are very P**t off about this Please have a word with Nikon USA and tell them this is not a very good business sense in any way

I loved the out takes but we all feel in Europe that Nikon USA is just dangling a carrot in front of our noises

Carl

Joey says:

on December 12, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Cool blog…..like your pixs too!

Joey says:

on December 12, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Joe….I have seen pictures like the man with the tattoos standing in front of the water before. How is the lighting done? I would like to attempt to do this type of shot. Do you shoot at dusk with soft boxes?

Mike K says:

on December 12, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Great clip. Anybody notice how (at least on video) Bob looks, talks and acts like a balding Robin Williams?

Twins separated at birth…:)

Bartek says:

on December 12, 2008 at 6:12 pm

my copy of the DVD ordered from Amazon already arrived here to POLAND and I’m watching it part by part today.

Excellent work, thanks.

I only miss some more exposure details (ISO and shutter) on some of the examples so maybe Nikon would publish small thumbnails of pics used in DVD with exposure details below, as this would give us more scope on ambient light exposure at particular scenes.

Wade says:

on December 13, 2008 at 9:28 am

I love your stuff at Kelby Training but this is a whole different level. Great job to you, Bob and the entire production team.

Wade

Eduar says:

on December 13, 2008 at 1:45 pm

I watched the first video of the gag reel you uploaded with Bob’s speedlight song I was literally in the floor laughing it was an AWESOME song, why did you uploaded the cut version without the song :( hehehe.

Can’t wait for my DVD to arrive :D

Dave Hutchinson says:

on December 14, 2008 at 7:03 pm

I am enjoying the heck out of the SB-900 Video. You and Bob Krist are terrific together. And, I really appreciate you spelling out Bob’s lighting kit on your Blog. I was hoping that he was going to do that. Great work. My Nikon friends all love your work. -Dave-

Charlie Thiel Photo says:

on February 20, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Wow! Bob Krist’s lighting kit is so light, he doesn’t even carry flashes! That is hardcore!

Hmurawon says:

on March 23, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Sir Joe you did another good job again..
I have your Book The Moment it Click and the book of your friend Scott Kelby also..

drethaday says:

on April 22, 2009 at 9:32 am

emm. good one :)

Flash Brackets says:

on March 1, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Great Pictures. I like the use of color.

Flash Brackets