From South Africa to Santa Fe to Saint Lucia

Jun 10

In News, Seminars & Workshops, Upcoming Events at 5:07am

Doing a few teaching stints this summer in far flung places. In late June, head for the first time to So. Africa, and do seminars in Capetown and Johannesburg. Really excited. I have been to Africa numerous times, but never to the south, and I’ve alway been told amazing things about the beauty that abounds down there. Here’s a link discussing the trip, and the events. Hats off to Nikon South Africa for doing all the logistics and staging for the events!

In July, will be down at one of my favorite places, amongst dear friends, in Santa Fe.

I’m teaching for the National Geographic, and two classes in lighting for the Santa Fe workshops. The Nat Geo class starts on July 14 and is a week long exploration of all manner of photographic skills. The two lighting classes follow on the next week. One is a two day, small flash intensive, and the other a full blown location light class. Excited about the classes! Haven’t been to Santa Fe now for a couple of years, and Donald and I are already discussing which brand of tequila to investigate thoroughly.

Onto St. Lucia in August. Really special this year, as I am joined for the first week of instruction by David Burnett, and the second week by RC Concepcion. Intermingled with the ongoing lessons of flash I always teach, each week will be richened by the teaching of their specialties. David is the quintessential storyteller, a legendary photojournalist who will do lectures, critiques and walkabouts. RC will bring to bear his genius with post-production, HDR shooting and processing, quick and simple video skills, and basic Lightroom tips and shortcuts. On all days, I will be teaching about the language of light, and how it applies whether you are doing a journalistic look see on the streets, or striving for well lit, lavish travel scenes. David’s is the guest instructor for the week of Aug. 18-23, and RC comes in for the week of Aug. 25-30. Here’s the link for the weeks, and all the info.

More tk….

24 Responses to “From South Africa to Santa Fe to Saint Lucia”

Fadi Kelada says:

on June 10, 2013 at 6:57 am

Best of Luck, Joe! Safe Travels :)

Brian Wilson says:

on June 10, 2013 at 7:08 am

One of my greatest experiences in life was learning with you last year in St Lucia, that will stay with me forever~ I wish I could go again this year, but I will be in Scotland at the time ( I know, right?).
Thanks, and be safe~

Allie L. says:

on June 10, 2013 at 7:24 am

Yes, you deserve your success, you’re talented and hardworking. Indefatigable, it seems, Blessed with an iron stomach across time zones and cultures. A spinner of yarns, master of the light mod, humble, funny, generous — Yes Yes emphatically Yes. But that doesn’t mean many of your readers can’t be a little jealous. Including — DUH! — me. Go Joe, GO!!!!

William Beem says:

on June 10, 2013 at 8:14 am

Just booked my airfare for St. Lucia last night. I’m looking forward to learning which end of the flash goes up.

René van Dam says:

on June 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

Hopefully you will come to Amsterdam in the near future?

E. Olusegun Aderinto says:

on June 10, 2013 at 10:56 am

WOW! Great shots. Interesting dram.

Pieter says:

on June 11, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I am a little jealous, I just moved from South Africa to the States… and now you’re going back… I hope to catch you some time in Portland, OR :)

Blair's Foster Socks says:

on June 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

Sounds like it’s going to be a great trip! Safe travels, can’t wait to see pictures.

Automated Controlled Systems says:

on June 12, 2013 at 12:17 pm

The skyline and the firefighter shots are awesome.

Hannes Uys says:

on June 13, 2013 at 8:55 am

Will be great to see you here in South Africa Joe.

Tom Good says:

on June 13, 2013 at 4:31 pm

First let me thank you again for years of inspiration and not only the education I have received from you both online but at Photoshop World Vegas the last couple years as well, but your graciousness and generosity with your time to me as well. Even when running to another class etc, you were always willing to give a couple minutes as possible to say hi, shake my hand, answer a quick question etc.
Anyway, if you have not tried it yet may I suggest Corralejo tequila, I discovered it in Ensenada a couple years back and love it!
Nice thing is is cost much less than your typical gringo favorites such as Patrone and Cabo, don’t miss understand me I toughly enjoy those but I find this to be even smother, especially the Repasado.
I’d love to buy you one in Vegas this year to thank you, but due to a work injury ( I’m a Paramedic) I broke my hip and will be having it replaced in July so I’m probably going to miss this year.
Oh well , maybe next year! Stay safe my friend and thank you again!

Jason says:

on June 14, 2013 at 5:25 am

Looking forward to your Johannesburg course!

Marv Ross says:

on June 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

Like Brian Wilson (Hi Brian) above, I also got so much from Joe’s St Lucia workshop last year. Sometimes it felt all the information went over my head but thanks to Cali and Drew who were an invaluable aid to the digestion of this wonderful instruction. I came home and immediately began to practice what we were given. I purchased more lights, got some modifiers and Wizards and now enjoy this new world Joe and his crew opened my eyes to. I am very grateful. And Joe’s sense of humor is worth noting as well.

Dick Beery says:

on June 15, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Enjoy SA!! One of my favorite places!! Variety and beauty and the people are fantastic! Have made 5 trips there and hope to do many more.

Tim Hague says:

on June 17, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Looking forward to Tuesday – I booked as soon as I found out about it. Question for you though, should I bring any equipment with me? Like, will this be a hands-on type workshop?

Joe McNally says:

on June 18, 2013 at 5:28 am

Hi, no it won’t be hands on. You’re welcome to shoot the setups, but it will be a day of stage demo….see you there! Joe

Joe McNally says:

on June 18, 2013 at 5:29 am

Hi Tom…many thanks back to you for the kind words, and the tequila advice! Recover well, and we’ll see you on the road! best, Joe

Don Vos says:

on June 25, 2013 at 3:19 pm

2 days to go, can’t wait!!!

Nathalie Boucry says:

on June 28, 2013 at 4:55 am

Thanks so much for a very enlightening day yesterday. It’s been a lot of fun, inspiring and motivating. I love your sense of humour and admire your patience! Thanks for keeping it real. And thanks for putting up with us during your breaks and for taking your time to attend to even the most basic of questions without blinking an eyelid! I hope you have some time now to enjoy our beautiful country! We hope this was the first of many repeat visits… the world tends to forget about us down here… maybe you can spread the word amongst your colleagues as well!! There are some knowledge-hungy photographers out here! And our industry is in dire need of some professional, high-quality input! Thanks a million! All the best, Nathalie

Nathalie Boucry says:

on June 30, 2013 at 9:28 am

Here is the link to my post I wrote about my experience of your workshop. I thought you might want to read it. http://www.nathalieboucry.com/blog/i-like-blog/sweetspeedlightserenade/

Thanks again!
All the best,
Nathalie

Jens Gerlach says:

on July 2, 2013 at 9:17 am

Wow, amazing pictures and a really good written post.
best wishes
Jens

Blink says:

on July 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Just finishing your book, “The Moment it Clicks’ which certainly runs counter to that old adage “those who can’t do teach’. Doers like yourself while rare, can indeed teach. Thanks for the lessons and inspiration.

anton carstens says:

on July 3, 2013 at 10:12 am

Thanks Joe it was great to meet you and you seminar was great. Really learnt a lot. Hope you will be in South Africa again soon.