Just a Wonderful City

Dec 6

In Seminars & Workshops at 9:28am

Guanajuato, Mexico, is simply one of the most terrific places I have ever been. Full of color and street life, and warm hearted to boot. The folks here, Hector Segovia and his staff at PhotoXperience, have done an amazing organizational job at pulling together models, locations and opportunities for the participants. It’s been a wonder to teach here.

The above was shot with a Lastolite Tri-Grip, on a D800 with a 70-200mm lens. Done quick and simple. We’re working light and fast on the streets, using the amazing available light, and tweaking it just a bit with basically one flash.

Been in Mexico a number of times, but never to this area, and it is a place to return to. More tk….

11 Responses to “Just a Wonderful City”

Remek says:

on December 6, 2012 at 9:55 am

Why would Joe use a diffuser on his flash while shooting outside with nothing to bounce the light off? Just curious…

Guadalupe Hernández says:

on December 7, 2012 at 1:13 am

Hi Joe! You are the best photographer ever! Thanks for visiting Guanajuato and for making me look beautiful!

SUSANA says:

on December 7, 2012 at 1:17 am

WE WERE SO HAPPY TO HAVE YOU IN OUR PLACE!
THANK YOU AGAIN FOR COMING, WE ARE HOPPING TO HAVE YOU HERE THE NEXT YEAR!

Joe McNally says:

on December 7, 2012 at 6:51 am

hi remek….the diffuser softens the light at the source and spreads it a bit. then it hits the panel diffuser, the tri-grip. the result is the source of light enlarges considerably, making for a pleasing light for the subject. best, Joe

Phil says:

on December 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Hi Joe, great shot. How do you like your D800? I find that I need to use a high shutter speed or lock it down on a tripod to get a good picture. I have all your books and love your blog. Keep up the good work.
Phil

Jay Mann says:

on December 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm

That is an interesting hand position in the production pic. Is It because the lens is so small?

Joe McNally says:

on December 10, 2012 at 6:10 am

Hey Jay….yeah, it’s a little odd for me. I shot the whole week without my own cameras, and because they were loaners (we did this to lessen the cost of the carnet crossing the border) I didn’t use the camera straps. So I was a little upside down shooting during this time. You know, the cameras are all “the same.” But once you use a camera for a while, it’s yours, and you have a feel for it. These felt a little strange in my hands. Hope you’re well, and doing great no matter where in the world you currently are…..Joe

Al Milligan says:

on December 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

Where can we see more of your images from the workshop?

Hector Segovia says:

on December 11, 2012 at 9:19 pm

All images will be posted in our web page: http://www.photoxperience.mx as well as in our blog that will be shared with Joe, Drew and all the friends of photoxperience.
Follow us in Facebook as PhotoXpedition.com !!

Best !

Jair Garciaferro says:

on December 15, 2012 at 11:51 am

Hi Joe! It was a wonderfull workshops days! It si awesome how You can make a photo sincera one light to have Many lights!

I hope have another chance to share time with You AND your team!