Dancing With Light

Aug 3

In Lighting, Videos at 6:48am

Very happy that Kelby Training has launched the dance photography classes we created in January in collaboration with some truly wonderful dancers in Vancouver, Canada. The above series is of a marvelously powerful dancer with Ballet BC named Gilbert Small. The class that is up and running now is called Light, Shadow and Motion. Coming next week is Dancers in Flight, and I’ll keep you  posted on that. Many thanks to the folks at Kelby Training, and all the dancers who worked so hard in the studio. Their devotion to craft and artistry is routinely amazing. Below, Jeff Mortensen conjures simple magic in the air.

More tk…

11 Responses to “Dancing With Light”

George Coffey says:

on August 3, 2012 at 6:56 am

I thought the cross lighting with the shadowed background was superb. I learned a lot from the class. Thanks

Andre Blais says:

on August 3, 2012 at 9:52 am

You’re dance shots (and everything else you shoot) is so visually inspiring, this alone makes me want to renew my Kelby subscription… P.S. Please come back to Boston for another seminar or better yet come to Providence, R.I.

John says:

on August 3, 2012 at 10:16 am

Thanks Joe. I’ve been looking forward to this series.
John

Steve Wylie says:

on August 3, 2012 at 10:57 am

Thanks for the Kelby Training class, Joe. I’ve had the privilege of shooting the 605 gang and members of Ballet BC with David Cooper twice now, and these dancers are so incredibly talented and cooperative with us photogs. Your Kelby Training class really covers all of the issues and technical considerations we photographers have to keep in mind, and is perhaps the best large-audience resource for those of us who love to photograph the performing arts. But what else would we expect from you?

Simon says:

on August 4, 2012 at 8:28 am

Thoroughly enjoyed watching these Joe – including your own efforts at leaping in front of the camera. Who says white men can’t jump?

Taz says:

on August 6, 2012 at 8:11 am

This is really tempting me to sign up to Kelby Training.

Joshua Lee says:

on August 6, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Mr. Joe, you are truly one of the best teachers out there. PERIOD. I’ve watched all of your Kelby Training videos (including SL&M) as well as the ones floating around on YouTube and love them all! I can only imagine how powerful and insightful your workshops must be (the NYC workshop is on my wish list). Thanks for keeping the amazing videos coming!

Rob Sylvan says:

on August 10, 2012 at 7:13 am

Hi Joe, Great class! Can you say a little about the focus mode you used in this class and any tips for nailing focus on these amazing moving subjects?