Air Canada

Nov 16

In News at 8:38am

_jm38093-2

Melissa Boniface of the Alberta Ballet soars over the weekend in Calgary. She is leaping into the venerable, go to, 74″ Octa with a Ranger head in it. The Octa, I tell ya, I agree with Zack Arias. You put up one of these puppies, you don’t gotta know nothin’ about nothin’. Whenever I have been totally bereft of ideas, which is frequently, and I’m on a location, the Octa’s like a big ass life preserver in a turbulent sea. Put it up, everything looks nice. It lights the subject, answers your cell phone, and cooks your breakfast. Done deal. Very nice light.

Melissa and her very accomplished fellow dancer Anthony Pina joined us over the weekend. Wonderful dancers. Mel’s so talented she made me look good with this leap. Only shot 3 frames, and was lucky to be in sync with her for this one. Having a great time in Canada, meeting terrific folks and good shooters……more tk…..

36 Responses to “Air Canada”

Ravi Ramachandran says:

on November 16, 2010 at 8:56 am

It is always a pleasure to read or watch your work. I enjoyed meeting you at the PDN photo expo and learned quite a bit from your small flash lighting session at Nikon. Keep up the blogging and writing. We have so much to learn from you. And don’t forget to continue infusing your writings with that impeccable sense of humor!.
_RAV0063.jpg

JayM says:

on November 16, 2010 at 9:16 am

Hey Joe

Was great seeing you this weekend. Are you going to post a couple of your swirling “bike LED” frames?

Enjoy your trip to Vancouver.

–Jay

Simon says:

on November 16, 2010 at 9:24 am

Cool ! You’ve crossed the border, that’s a good thing. Now, repeat the process but come to Montreal.

Ray Semenoff says:

on November 16, 2010 at 9:40 am

I was lucky enough to be at this event. I can tell you that Joe got quite a few good images, but (to me) the highlight of the event was the ballet dancers. Some fantastic images came out of those few hours.

Joe put on one hell of a session – he’s welcome back to “The Great White North” any time!

Ranger 9 says:

on November 16, 2010 at 9:46 am

I’ll bet she wishes her right hand weren’t so bent…

Ian McKenzie says:

on November 16, 2010 at 10:06 am

Joe, thanks for your two days in Calgary. I learned a tonne of new stuff and had a great time. You’re an informative and entertaining instructor.

Nikki McArthur says:

on November 16, 2010 at 10:21 am

Just a quick note to say THANKS for coming to Calgary. Before this weekend I have had very limited exposure to flash and now I have a $3000 shopping list. So thanks for that! LOVED the work with the dancers! Thanks again!

david says:

on November 16, 2010 at 10:37 am

Wish you were here (in Winnipeg)

Adam Fick says:

on November 16, 2010 at 10:46 am

oh I’m so glad you posted this image! it was my favorite from the seminar in Calgary!
Thanks again for such an awesome seminar, and please come back to Canada some more, I’d love to attend another one!

Peter Carroll says:

on November 16, 2010 at 10:49 am

Hey Joe!
My blog post yesterday (http://petercarroll.ca/blog/?p=2330)pretty much summed up all my feelings about your fantastic two day workshop in Calgary. I come away from the weekend inspired and energized. Thanks. Thanks so much. I needed this big time.
Pete
P.S. When that shot appeared up on the big screen it literally took my breath away. Yeah I guess you could say it made a little bit of a connection with this viewer!!

Jackie says:

on November 16, 2010 at 11:04 am

Wonderful shot and what a great seminar in Calgary! A ton of information was covered and it was great learning experience, especially watching you work through the inevitable problems that evolved.

Ha! Ha! Loved it when the Captain Jack impersonator was so distracting that you finally turned to the audience and said, “You guys just want to get a keg?”

Thank you so much!

Kevin H. Stecyk says:

on November 16, 2010 at 11:09 am

Joe, beautiful capture of Alberta Ballet’s Melissa Boniface. I always enjoy seeing your images of dancers. I know they are a favorite subject of yours.

Riccardo says:

on November 16, 2010 at 11:30 am

no other light sources than the Octa?

can’t believe it…

Cheers
R

Danielle Paetz says:

on November 16, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Joe, It was amazing to meet you and attend the Calgary workshop. I learned so much in that short period. But most importantly I learned with the gift of photography you have so much more to give than you have to take. Thank you Joe you have inspired me.

J W Nienstedt says:

on November 16, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Wow, I didn’t realize how expensive the 74″ Octa is! For the budget minded, I find that the Photek Softlighter has a similar look for a fraction of the cost.

Geoff says:

on November 16, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Nice capture Joe. How do we get you out on the East coast of Canada?

David C says:

on November 16, 2010 at 1:49 pm

That shot more than made up for my initial disappointment when I found out what type of dancers you had booked. When you said dancers, I thought you ment…. never mind.

I had great weekend. Learned lots and laughed a ton. I’m looking forward to your return.

Ricardo Liberato says:

on November 16, 2010 at 1:53 pm

A lovely shot, but wouldn’t you want a bit more separation from the black backdrop, specially for the underside of her legs?

Penny says:

on November 16, 2010 at 2:43 pm

So wish I was there!! You have to come east next. Canada’s a huge country (really – there is a whole population east of Montreal!) and I know a lot of my Maritime friends would love for you to spend a couple of days here! But I’m sure the requests are never ending!!

Tyson Murray says:

on November 16, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Awesome work Joe. I’m going to have to try a 74″ Octa

viscara says:

on November 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Joe I think you need to explain things a bit better to those that may be novices here reading this as your may lead them down a wrong path by thinking your serious that a Light modifier does all the work or is the magic bullet to save all that know nothing about lighting… I know your joking about it here but others may not.. That it takes far more than a modifier or a 74 inch Octbox thingy to save the day… There are many that are very nieve or “Want” to believe that a single piece of photographic gear is going to magically make them “Poof!” a pro shooter. I know the context of what you meant your story above to be taken as but many here will take it literally. “Love you sense of humor” by the way too.. Yes Monte Python rocks.. and I have been envious of you since you got to hug Carly Simon many years a go.. “Had a crush on her at the age of 14″

Dave says:

on November 16, 2010 at 5:45 pm

There must be more than one light source. The front and back edge of the leading arm can’t both be lit by a single light. Also the quality of the main light and rear light is different. I’d bet another light at the back, probably a bare head

Bernard says:

on November 16, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I agree with Simon. «Cross the border up to Montreal».
Thank you for all.

Steve Wylie says:

on November 16, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Joe: Go WEST, young man! Do a joint workshop with David Cooper in Vancouver.

Ken Toney says:

on November 16, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Joe, I bet its hard for you to put up ONE flash and shoot. I mean leaving the other 150 behind, must be humbling for ya! :)

joe says:

on November 16, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Fantastic shot, I LOVE the way that parts of her that are in shadow just disappear into the background.

Nikki says:

on November 16, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Great workshop Joe. You did an amazing job and I was glad to be there to take it all in. The models you had were so much fun and I really liked the shot you took of Will with the improvised background, verra cool. Hope you come back again eh?

Nikky says:

on November 16, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Please, come to Toronto.

Dean Doll says:

on November 16, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I had a fantastic time, thank you Joe! Best weekend spent in a long time, good folks, good humor, and a good approach to problem solving as driving creativity. Feeling more inspired than ever, and I would go to an advanced workshop in an instant if the stars aligned.

Barna TAnko says:

on November 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm

It was great to see you in action in Calgary. Beside all the technical stuff I really enjoyed the good humor.

Darrin says:

on November 17, 2010 at 12:04 am

Thanks for a great seminar Joe, really loved your terrific sense of humour packed in with all that knowledge! You make a great teacher.

Patrick Kornak says:

on November 17, 2010 at 12:50 am

It was a great weekend and you were very informative and entertaining. Got a couple of interesting shots from my seat in the audience. It was a pleasure to meet you.

Philip T says:

on November 17, 2010 at 3:09 am

Thank you for putting together such an engaging seminar, Joe! It was a very educational and entertaining evening. If you ever need me to do more modeling for you, let me know! Ha ha!

Victor Mah says:

on November 17, 2010 at 3:24 am

Joe, thanks so much for coming to Vancouver! Your lighting seminar was absolutely fantastic, truly informative and insightful. The added bonus was your terrific sense of humour which had me in stitches. I hope to learn more from you in the future. Enjoy the rest of your stay in the Great White North.

J Quinton says:

on November 19, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Thanks for coming to Calgary Joe! I used your tip of firing a strobe directly at the floor (with a square of white seamless underneath) to add a little fill, worked like a charm! The highlight for me was shaking your hand and saying hi, and thanks for signing my ticket. The weekend was all very inspiring.

Cheers!

Orpha Lapenta says:

on February 19, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Omg, I loved your clean article.