Windows and Doors in Dobbs….

Jun 30

In Seminars & Workshops at 8:38am

day_5_0344-web

You never know how things go, right? My friend Deb at Corey Glass in Hastings has been doing my framing for 15 years. She’s always got a good sense of color and dimension when it comes to hanging something on the wall, probably because she’s a really good painter. She has done of couple of paintings of Lauren, her stepdaughter, over the years that are really beautiful, so I mentioned to her that hey, you know, if Lauren’s around, maybe she could come and pose for the workshops? Lucky us. The scene on the dilapidated sofa is created by one Ranger battery unit, literally placed up high on a bridge outside the building, and being driven by a skyport radio trigger. It has a half CTO on it, hence the warm feel. Lauren looks up towards the light, and we were done.

day_5_0201-web

For Bethany, we did an exercise in controlling exposure inside and outside with EV at the camera, and TTL control of SB900 units. Never left the camera for this. Just placed the lights, and we were able to wrangle the scene by simply plus-ing and minus-ing the amounts of flash relative to the ambient light level. day_5_0356-web1

day_5_0398-web1

So much for the window. Down at the loading dock, Phil, who’s got one of the great faces of all time, came in and posed up against a garage door. We simply blasted one light at him from about 60 or so feet away. Came through plastic draping, and had nice, natural fall off. Then we flipped it up and had Phil menacing Kyra. One light in the doorway…more tk…..

20 Responses to “Windows and Doors in Dobbs….”

Jeffrey Chapman says:

on June 30, 2009 at 9:10 am

Lauren, who I remembering claiming to not be a model and not have much interest in modelling, is without a doubt an absolutely wonderful model. She’s photogenic and super-easy to work with. I hope that at a minimum she’ll keep popping up at your workshops.

Jay Mann says:

on June 30, 2009 at 9:39 am

Oh goody, more images for my favourite game, Guess the lighting. Did pretty well, but the lighting on Lauren was tricky, did you have a high window open for the ranger unit? Or did it just blast the dirty window above. The window we see does not appear to have much light coming through. I am a slow learner, a 3D Numnuts diagram would help.

Sergei says:

on June 30, 2009 at 10:43 am

love first one, Joe. Gorgeous. All – light , composition and of course gorgeous model – come together there.

Craig Ferguson says:

on June 30, 2009 at 11:02 am

That sofa image is just magical. Great work.

drew says:

on June 30, 2009 at 11:36 am

Hey Jay,

The window wasn’t open behind Lauren at all….Ranger pack/head were maybe 20 feet back and 10-15 or so feet above her.
-Drew

Richard Cave says:

on June 30, 2009 at 12:16 pm

The sofa one is awesome, please crop the window out!

Awesome work btw

You are too late I have drunk your beer, So when you are in the UK next its your round.

Rich

steve K says:

on June 30, 2009 at 12:37 pm

the girl being menaced is perhaps misogynistic, don’t you think? i mean, would a woman shoot that image? nicely done but not really amusing.

Trude says:

on June 30, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Wow. That shot of Lauren – be still my heart!

Shamik says:

on June 30, 2009 at 2:57 pm

This was a blast!had fun and learned a lot… the sofa picture was definitely the wow moment of the day! couldnt tell that Lauren wasnt a real model…

A quick Q for Drew..the Lastolite hotshoe Ezyboxes we were using with the SB units..were they the 24″ ones? cant seem to find them online on Adorama

Jamie Willmott says:

on June 30, 2009 at 5:18 pm

The sofa shot reminds me of a chocolate commercial, like the Cadbury’s flake adverts.

Claude says:

on June 30, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Joe, having participated in day one of your workshops, I am impressed how you have been doing something different every day. Kinda makes me want to sign up for more than one next time.

Lauren is a knockout and so sweet. Please bring her back next year.

ricardo says:

on June 30, 2009 at 9:14 pm

que lo pario..!!! como logras tener esa marivillosa imaginacion Joe?

Mark says:

on July 1, 2009 at 1:22 am

Joe, how ’bout have Kyra menace Phil next time? She can do it and it would make Steve K happy…Numnuts needs to be politico correct alldatime, right??!!!

Some great set ups here. That first one is special. I kinda like the window in the frame…or not. All really good stuff.

Larry Smith says:

on July 1, 2009 at 2:45 pm

I love the picture of Lauren, now I’ll have to figure how to do something similar with my 580EXs and maybe EzyBox hotshoes.

Lauren says:

on July 1, 2009 at 3:10 pm

I agree about the window… It works well with or without it. Thanks, you guys! I had more fun than I ever could have asked for and learned loads about lighting… now I just have to put it to good use. (alliteration not intentional)

Deb Ryan says:

on July 2, 2009 at 7:51 pm

I think I like the window in the shot. It gives the light on her face and body some sense. It’s a wonderful image.

Lauren says:

on July 2, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Yeah but the light doesn’t look like it’s coming from that window; that part’s being blocked by the bridge. So seeing just that part of the window doesn’t really make the light make sense either.

Rick says:

on July 12, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Hi Joe, I study your work. I find it mesmorizing and captivating. Each shot you publish inspires me to go compose and shoot better. I only have a D80 but I have some pretty good Nikkor glass rounded up so far. I am earning and learning my way up the Nikon food chain.